Klagenfurt am Worthersee is commonly known as Klagenfurt. It is the capital of Carinthia which is the federal state of Austria. This place is considered as the sixth-largest city in Austria and has a population of about 101,403. Klagenfurt is the city which is the bishop’s seat of the place known as Roman Catholic Diocese of Gurk-Klagenfurt.
The University of Klagenfurt which is the most famous university is also situated in Klagenfurt. There are many more universities like Carinthian University of Applied Sciences, Gustav Mahler University of Michigan and many more.
Klagenfurt is situated in the district named as statutory city and the mayor of the city is Maria-Luise Mathiaschitz. It covers a total area of about 120.12km^2 and also an elevation of 446m.
Tourism of Klagenfurt
There are many places in the city to visit and that adds beauty to the city. The tourists are advised to visit these places without any failure.
This place is situated on the top of the craggy peak which is 160 meters above the Launsdorf town and also in the northeast direction to the Klagenfurt and the distance is about 21 kilometers. This holds the Hochosterwitz Castle in their arms and protects them and it is one of the impressive and beautiful castles of Austria.
In the 860 AD, the castle was situated on the frontline that was between Europe and the Ottoman Empire for many centuries. Though there were many wars between them the castle was not at all affected.
There are various features of the castle and that is it consists of the Burgweg, steeps, roads with the maximum wind, gates that are 620 meters in their height and 14 in their total number and also possess an arcaded courtyard which is very beautiful and is present at the end of the castle.
The Pilgrimage Church of Maria Saal
The Pilgrimage Church of Maria Saal is not referred to as St. Mary’s Cathedral. It is also the famous pilgrimage of Carinthia and is visited by many people. It is situated on the top of the hill and the distance from Klagenfurt is about 10 kilometers in the north direction.
This place was made pure by the building of the church by Bishop Modestus in the AD 750 and this church was dedicated to the Virgin and due to this, there were all Christians surrounding the area. The twin-towered structure of the church was according to the Gothic style that was built in the first half of the 15th century. The structure was remodeled at the time of Baroque and also at the time of Renaissance.
Neuer Platz and the Dragon Fountain
The new place that was constructed after the Renaissance was Neuer Platz and it is very spacious. The dragon fountain was big in its size and was used as a landmark to locate their houses. The Dragon Fountain was carved in the year 1590 by Ulrich Vogelsang.
The unique coloring of the sculpture is given by the use of greenstone and used chloritic schist block. Later in 1636, there were some modifications done and that was the addition of Hercules figure and also the railings and in 1689, the Trinity Column was added.
The Landhaus and the Emblem Halls
Landhaus is the most secular building of the Klagenfurt and is situated in the between Alter Platz and Heiligengeistplatz. Landhaus was constructed from 1574 to 1590 and the site on which it is constructed was a moated ducal castle. The building is impressive because of its two towers that have onion shape dome on its top and it also has an arcaded courtyard which is two-storied.
Great Emblem Hall is home for about 665 coats of arms and was built in the year 1740. There many interesting ceiling paintings on the walls of the Emblem Hall. One of the interesting ceiling paintings that are present there is done by JF Fromiller which shows Emperor Charles VI getting home in the emblem by the Estate in the year 1728. The Small Emblem of Hall has total space for about 298 coats of arms for staying of people.
Minimundus is situated in the west direction of the Klagenfurt and it consists of miniature town which includes all the famous and most liked buildings of the world constructed in it as a model. In the year 1958, there a total of about 150 models at that time and those models had a scale of 1:25.
This model was spread across the area where it was a park. Some of the models that are present there are: the Tower of London, Statue of Liberty, various number of trains run there showing the difference covering the entire model and also the model of the site of NASA Space Shuttle Launch.
Worthersee is 20+2 kilometers away from the Klagenfurt and 2 kilometers for the lake that connects the Klagenfurt to Velden. The area is surrounded by heavily wooded alpine foothills and has a stunning view that is little far away from the snow-capped Alps. The water of the lake is very famous because of its Caribbean-clear turquoise waters.
Klagenfurt is situated in the midway of the nation of Austria and in the southern parts. It is located near the international borders of the country. It is exactly in the middle of the nation as the distance of Klagenfurt is the same from that of the Innsbruck which is in the west of the nation and also from the Vienna which is in the northeast of the nation. It is also situated on the river Glan and Worthersee.
The city has many mountains and hills surrounding it and the heights of the mountains are about 1000m. The mountains like Ulrichsberg and the Karawanken mountain which is in the southern parts of Austria. This mountain range separates Carinthia from Italy and Slovenia.
Klagenfurt is further divided into 16 districts which are named Hortendrof, Innere Staff, Volkermarkter, Villa her Vorstadt, St. Peter and many more. These districts were further divided into 25 districts and named as Gurlitsch, St. Martin bei Ebenthal, St. Ruprecht being Klagenfurt, Viktring, Tentschach, Stein, Waldorf and many more.
The climate of the Klagenfurt is typical Continental and experiences a normal amount of fog in the entire duration of winter and Autumn season. The extremely cold winter is hindered because of the warmer periods which happen occasionally due to foehn wind which starts from the southern mountains named Karawanken. The average temperature of the city is 7.1°C during the years 1961 to 1990 but was raised to 9.3°C which was in the year 2005.
The eminent linguistics of the Carinthia, both Primus Lessiak and Eberhard Kranzmayer decided the name for the city. The meaning of the name was a ford of lament or ford of complaints. They also have to do something for the superstitious thoughts of the people about the living of fateful demons or fairies that live near or around the treacherous swamps or waters.
There was a place named Cviljovec in the Old Slovene and according to the people there was a female ghost or Cvilya who haunts people. According to them, Klagenfurt was the name given after translating the original name of Slovene by the settlers of Germany. Later according to the observations, it was noticed that Old Slovene Cviljovec goes back to the Italic I’aquiliu from the latest interpretations. This meant that the place at or in the water and this also proved the wailing hag theory was true.
Many scholars tried to change the name of Klagenfurt by some peculiar names. There are several names by several scholars such as John of Viktring who is a historiographer and abbot and the name that he proposed was Queremoniae Vaduz and he did it in the 14th century.
Another scholar named Hieronymus Megiser who is the master of the college named College of Carinthian Estates and also the editor of the duchy history that was printed earliest in the year 1612. He believed that the original name was originated and meant the ford across the River Glan.
The common people of the city seek many reasons behind this. They did it by observing things like a person who was an intern at the baker’s shop was accused of stealing things from the shop but after few days he was found innocent and a feeling of sorrow was shown by every person. Aeneas Silvius Piccolomini who later became Pope Pius II told the story to the people.
In the year 2007, the official name for the city was announced and set as Klagenfurt am Worthersee which meant Klagenfurt on Lake Worth. Later there were no specifications and no conflicts over the name of the city so the shorter name of the city was not changed and remained the same.
According to some of the legends, Klagenfurt was won by Lindwurm by many brave people who fought against him and defeated him. Lindwurm was a dragon with wings to fly and was from the moors who were joined with the lake. He used to eat virgins as his daily diet but he refused the fat bull which the people mounted on the strong tower with the help of the chain to distract him from the place to conquer him.
It was originally founded by Spanheim Duke Herman and it was like a site which was protected by the many people and especially the area near commercial routes. Duke Ulric II released the St. Paul ‘s Abbey from the charges of the toll and the name of the toll was “in for Chlagenvurth”.
This thing is mentioned in a document in the late 12th century. This settlement of the two, Duke Ulric II and St. Paul’s Abbey lead to the occupation of an area that faced continuous flooding. During 1246, the son of Duke Herman took many measures to solve the problem of flooding and the name of the son was Bernhard von Spanheim.
This action of him made him the actual founder of the market place and this market place was converted into a city by a charter that was released in the year 1252.
During the going centuries, the city of Klagenfurt faced many issues which not affected economic development but also affected the life of the people. The issues that did this were invasions of locusts, fires, Islamic Ottomans attack, earthquakes and also Peasants’ Wars were severely damaged.
In the year 1514, the fire was spread and destroyed the entire city of Klagenfurt and Emperor Maximilian was not able to rebuild it. There were many loud protests during the year 1518 by the burgers of the city, even the nobility of the Duchy and ceded Klagenfurt to the Estates. Such a disaster never took place in the history of Klagenfurt.
The new government that was set in the city of Klagenfurt made many changes in every field. They brought economic renaissance and also the ascendancy of the political and cultural matters in the city. To provide timber to the city for its reconstruction, a canal was dug which connected the lake and city.
This canal also helped in feeding the moats of the city and also provide new houses for the noble families in their new capital. The area of the city was expanded according to the geometrical chequer-board layout.
This was done by the Italian architect from his Renaissance ideas and the name of the architect was Domenico dell’Allio. There were many new areas and places constructed in the updated version of the city and some of them were the Neuer Platz and some new fortifications that took a lot of time of about half-century became successful. They helped in making the Klagenfurt the strongest fortress in the Alps from the north side.
The city is very famous for its beauty and also for its places. It is the place where people should visit once in their life and should see the beauty of the city.
Featured hotels Klagenfurt, Austria
Hotel Aragia Klagenfurt
Location: 1.5 km to historic centre Double rooms from: € 67.00
Hotel Aragia is a friendly and comfortable 3 star establishment, situated in quiet area, only a short walk away (1.5 km) from the historic old town of Klagenfurt with splendid Renaissance architecture. Well served by the local public bus transport, it is 2.5 km from the central train station, 6 km from the lake coast (Wörthersee) and 4 km from the airport. On-site amenities include a cozy restaurant with a pleasant open air terrace and garden, air-conditioning in all guestrooms and public areas, bar, conference room with modern meeting equipment, free parking space, bar and Wireless LAN access throughout the property.
Hotel Arcotel Moser Verdino
Location: centrally located, old town Double rooms from: € 70.00
Arcotel Moser Verdino is an exclusive 4 star hotel, housed in a pretty historic building with an exceptional location in the historic city centre, next to its atmospheric pedestrian zone with splendid Renaissance arcades, variety of shops and restaurants. The most characteristic landmarks of the city – the romantic Alter Platz, the 16th-century Lindwurm Fountain and the Landhaus are just steps away. The distance to the international airport is 5 km and to the central train station – only 2 km. The on-site Restaurant Dolce Vita serves delicious Mediterranean cuisine, well combined with an excellent selection of quality wines. All 71 guestrooms are en-suite, generous in space, with elegant furniture and top quality 4 star amenities.
Hotel Atrigon Klagenfurt
Location: central train station Double rooms from: € 77.00
The recently renovated and modernized 4 star Hotel Atrigon benefits from a very convenient location in the city centre of Klagenfurt, close to the main train station (less than 5 walking minutes) and the fairgrounds, a 10 minute stroll from the fascinating old town and its worth-seeing monuments, just steps from several bus stops of the public transport, providing easy access to all more distant areas of the city, including the delightful lakeshore beaches of the picturesque Lake Wörther and the Hypo-Arena Stadium. Facilities include a small spa centre with sauna, solarium and massages, restaurant with terrace, free private outdoor parking and indoor garage, complimentary Wi-Fi access in the entire property.
Location: historical centre Double rooms from: € 79.00
Enjoying a prime position right in the fascinating old town centre of Klagenfurt, the quality 3 star Hotel Geyer is just steps from the main points of tourist interest: the picturesque Alter Platz / Old Square, surrounded by marvelous Renaissance buildings with elegant arcades, the Lindwurm Fountain, the Museum of Modern Art and the Baroque Domkirche / Cathedral. Room rates include free access to the property’s on-site spa & wellness centre with sauna, steam bath and fitness, as well as complimentary private parking space. All 25 guest rooms have been recently refurbished, providing modern comfort and functionality in calm and relaxing environment. Wi-Fi Internet connection is available throughout the establishment (charged additionally €6.00 per hour).
Location: Lake Wörther Double rooms from: € 95.00
The recently renovated Hotel Plattenwirt is a welcoming family-run establishment, offering top quality of 4 star accommodation in a nice location, right next to the Europapark, on the shores of the picturesque Wörther Lake, just steps from the beach, the Minimundus amusement park and the University of Klagenfurt, a few minutes by public transport to the atmospheric historical centre of the city (a bus stop can be found 50 m away from the property). The establishment is also an ideal base for an exciting boat trip in the lake, being close to a boat rental centre. All 60 guest rooms have free wireless Internet access, LCD TV with satellite channels and private terrace.Plattenwirt description & online reservation
Dermuth Seminar und Urlaubshotel
Location: near university, near lake Double rooms from: € 69.00
Dermuth Seminar und Urlaubshotel Klagenfurt enjoys a picturesque tranquil location, in front of a pleasant old forest, surrounded by well kept lawns and gardens, near the University, within easy reach to both the historic centre and the lakeshore of Wörthersee in just a few minutes by regular public bus lines. Housed in a welcoming contemporary building, it features an outstanding spa & wellness area with heated indoor swimming pool, cozy on-site restaurant serving tempting Carinthian dishes, conference room, free wired Internet in all guestrooms, complimentary private parking and additionally charged garage. Guests can also take advantage of free access to three beautiful beaches on the nearby Lake Wörther.